October 20, 2018, 03:45:29 AM

News:

WELL HOW ABOUT THAT? THE SITE IS BACK ONLINE!

Website is back online

Started by RockyRaccoon, June 12, 2018, 06:50:03 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

RockyRaccoon

Hey Smashers,

I am starting to notice a few of you wandering back to the website to see what is going on... As of right now, the site loads and that's about it.

The forums have been down for several years, overrun by bots and suffering from database failures and a general lack of attention. I saw the very exciting news about Smash Bros Ultimate on Nintendo's press release today and I decided that it's time to get this place up and running again. Those of you who are lucky enough to remember your passwords were able to log in and see that all of your old posts and messages are still here, but there are a number of things that are not working now:

No chat room
Theme is all defaulty
No themes to choose from
Tournament functionality is missing
Lots of people forgot their passwords

Clearly, there is a lot of work to be done, and I'm not sure how much time I will be able to devote to it this time around, but I will try to get us there sometime before December 7 when the game is released. If you guys can spread the word, hopefully that will keep me motivated.

I've upgraded to a new version of the forum software. It is a little more modern and has some neat features but it also means I lost a bunch of custom code that I had built into the old website. I'm not sure if I will keep this forum software or try to find something else that needs less customization.

The important thing is that we're back up, and some of you are here, and we can at least communicate with each other, play some Brawl, and prepare for the coming of our long awaited and very beloved game, which is looking pretty damned good.

Please have a look around... interact, let me know if you find any cool website features, or more broken ones. Tell your friends. Tell your enemies.
Do your best to contain your excitement.

- Rocky
NNID: RockyRogue<br />3DS: 4699 8033 5044

NinjaGoron

What about using a discord server as a chat? Looks like it can be somewhat integrated with a simple machines forum, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

TripleX

Holy craaaap. Hey Rocky.

So glad to see this place with all its memories back online (although admittedly I'm trying to contain my self-directed cringe lol). I don't game much these days but I'm excited for the new Smash.

Quote from: NinjaGoron on June 18, 2018, 08:57:24 PMWhat about using a discord server as a chat?

I agree, Discord seems to be the way to go these days.

RockyRaccoon

Quote from: NinjaGoron on June 18, 2018, 08:57:24 PMWhat about using a discord server as a chat? Looks like it can be somewhat integrated with a simple machines forum, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.
Quote from: TripleX on June 19, 2018, 11:30:26 AMI agree, Discord seems to be the way to go these days.

OK i'll check out Discord and see if I can make it fit .

Quote from: TripleX on June 19, 2018, 11:30:26 AMHoly craaaap. Hey Rocky.
So glad to see this place with all its memories back online (although admittedly I'm trying to contain my self-directed cringe lol). I don't game much these days but I'm excited for the new Smash.

i'm glad you guys have the opportunity to look back and see how retarded you all used to be .
maybe now you will understand why it was so easy for me to pick on you all the time .

TripleX

Quote from: RockyRaccoon on June 19, 2018, 03:11:26 PMOK i'll check out Discord and see if I can make it fit .

i'm glad you guys have the opportunity to look back and see how retarded you all used to be .
maybe now you will understand why it was so easy for me to pick on you all the time .

I haven't used it on any of my sites, but I believe there's a Discord widget that can be used, showing who's logged in and active. I THINK it serves as a portal to the Discord chat room, so everything happens off-site.

Frankly I'm amazed we somehow made it out in one piece.

RockyRaccoon

OK ... first things first .

are you guys able to join this server ?
https://discord.gg/sqWtvZG

TripleX

TripleX

Go Up